Saturday, November 17, 2007

PostSecret

I bought a book Thursday night called PostSecret by Frank Warren. His idea for the book started as a community art project. He handed out 3,000 postcards inviting people to share their secrets anonymously on a postcard and mail them to him. He compiled this book from some of the postcards. They are very artistic and the book just spoke to me. I love art. I love truth. I want to understand and share in people's pain. Sometimes I think that if I share someone's hurt, I can take part of it away from them so they won't hurt anymore. I don't know how I can do that out of a book but some of these postcards are just amazing, heart-wrenching, but beautiful all at the same time.

Excerps:

"I'm 25, and I've never been kissed. It's not that I don't want to...it's just that no one else does."


"When my friends go on diets, I discourage them. This is because I really just want them to be fatter than me."


(On a starbucks coffee wrapper) "I give decaf to customers who are RUDE to me!"


"Honestly, I'm glad your uncle died. He molested me that time in the 7th grade that I spent the night at your house. He told me that I liked it. I hope he likes it in his grave."


"I believe that one day I will like myself."


"I don't know what to say to God anymore"


"I wish my parents could see me for what I am...instead of what I didn't become"
(I CAN REALLY RELATE TO THIS ONE!!)


"I only love one of my children"


"When I see an ugly bride, what I am really seeing is a glimmer of hope for the future. Maybe I will marry someday too."


"When I eat, I feel like a failure."


"The medication is not enough to make me forget what he did to me...if I see him again, I will kill him to save the others."



...very powerful book. I just read the rest of them. These are the ones that spoke to me the most. There are so many people hurting out there. It makes me want to be more nice and friendly to everyone. You never know what people are going through.

me

2 comments:

Barb said...

Great book! It's amazing what people share when it's annoymous. Must be very freeing.

... said...

i'm sure this was mentioned somewhere in the book, but post secret started as a blog. it's still going at www.postsecret.com. i visit it once a week because each post card is so profound and personal.

btw, i'm barb's daughter. glad to meet you.